Western Connecticut State University (WCSU)is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut Sate Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, this universityoffers undergraduate and graduate programs that weave together liberal arts and professional education and instill a desire for life-long learning.Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut Sate Colleges and Universities
We are recruiting for an Administrative Assistant to provide support to the Director of Admissions of the college. Located at the midtown campus 181 White Street in Danbury, CT, the work hours for this position will be Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. 4:30 p.m., with occasional evening and/or weekend work, as required. The incumbent will be responsible for the full range of administrative support duties, as well as a wide variety of functional coverage and back-up support as needed to department staff. The selected individual will also supervisor other clerical and student employee staff.
The Admissions Office helps guide students from their initial inquiry and application to the University all the way through matriculation. The environment is energetic and very fast paced, particularly during peak application season, with a wide variety of tasks to be performed.
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing the most complex tasks in providing both office administration and secretarial support for a major program.
Performs the most complex office administrative duties as described in the following areas:
1. TYPING: Using a personal computer or other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.; proofreads for content; edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
2. FILING: Designs office filing systems; organizes and maintains files (including confidential files); maintains, updates and reviews references materials and manuals.
3. CORRESPONDENCE: Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g. explaining department practices and/or policies) for own or manager's signature.
4. REPORT WRITING: Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources and prepares statistical and/or narrative reports; analyzes information and may make recommendations.
5. INTERPERSONAL: Acts for manager by interpreting established policies and procedures, etc.; troubleshoots by relieving manager of as much administrative detail as possible; acts for and regularly makes decisions in manager's absence (within prescribed limits of authority).
6. PROCESSING: Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required; may make recommendations to supervisor.
7. PERSONAL SECRETARY: Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment); researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g. charts, graphs, reports); writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft; takes notes using shorthand, speedwriting or machine transcription; prepares expense accounts; makes travel arrangements.
8. OFFICE MANAGEMENT: Authorizes purchases and payments (within prescribed limits of authority); develops input and prepares documentation for office and/or department budget; coordinates budget control and monitoring; develops office and/or department procedural manuals; assists in interviewing and hiring office support staff; trains office support staff; may supervise office support staff; performs related duties as required.
Considerable knowledge of office administration and management; considerable knowledge of department and/or unit policies and procedures; considerable knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling; considerable knowledge of business communications; knowledge of business math; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to operate office equipment which includes personal computers and other electronic equipment; ability to operate office suite software; ability to take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to manager).
Four (4) years' experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been as a Secretary 2 or its equivalent.
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of 15 semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
The focus of this positionis on administrative activities which require an advanced level of confidentiality, accountability, and problem solving. Duties include, but are not limited to: maintaining the directors calendar and schedule; collect data as needed; assist with tracking budgets and initiate purchase requests; process travel and conference paperwork; collaborate on improvements to office processes, information, and interactions with students, faculty and staff; create and/or update office manual/procedure documents, website content, social media, and any office type of communications; assist with payroll and department scheduling; greet individuals in a professional manner, utilize provided intake forms and follow established office procedures to screen students for urgent and non-urgent matters; maintain confidentiality; schedule appointments; input data in the electronic database; assist students with utilizing tablets when entering data; answer phones and take messages; manage files; arrange and coordinate meetings/take meeting minutes, and order/maintain office supplies.
Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate in their application:1) Excellent written and verbal communication skills 2) Possess pleasant telephone and reception demeanor 3) Attention to detail, accuracy and proofreading skills 4) Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel and Word 5)Experience with handling confidential materials/data6) Experience in Higher Education, Banner and Supervisory experience are preferred
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Loading some great jobs for you...